Creating Office 365 user account
In order to set up your message center for emails and to enable the single sign-on function you need to integrate Classter with Office 365. Keep in mind that Office 365 is free for all educational institutions and their Students, Teachers, and Staff.
Please follow the instructions below, to establish the integration.
First step is to go to this URL : www.microsoft.com (Figure 1)
Scroll down until you see the following fields (Figure 2)
After clicking “Office 365 for schools” you will be redirected to a new window like this (Figure 3)
At this window you click the “Get Started for free” button and a new window will come up looking like this (Figure 4)
- Fill in the required information in each field e.g Name, Last Name.
- Fill in your institutions email and phone number.
- Enter your institution’s Name and size.
- Once you are done filling in information click on the ‘Next’ button.
After clicking the “Next” button , you will be redirected to a window looking like this (Figure 5)
- To create your user id for Office 365, you need to enter a username and you will then create a temporary domain e.g email@example.com.
- Enter and then verify a password for your account.
- Click “Create my account” to complete the creation of the Office 365 account.
After clicking “Create my account” you will be redirected to a window looking like this (Figure 6)
- To prove to the system, you are a human being, enter your mobile phone number and select a method of contact, By Text me or Call me.
- Once you have filled in the information and made your selection, click on ‘Text me’ button (or ‘Call me‘ button depending on your choice).
- You will receive a verification code number on your phone via text or you will receive a phone call.
After clicking the ‘Text me’ (Or ‘Call me‘) button you will be redirected to a new window looking like this (Figure 7)
- Enter the verification code you received via text or call.
- Click on the ‘Next’ button.
After clicking the “Next” button a new window looking like this will come up (Figure 8)
- We recommend you to save this information about your Office 365 because you’re going to need it later.
- Once you are sure you have this information saved , click the “You’re ready to go…” button.
After clicking the “You’re ready to go…” button you will be redirected to the Microsoft 365 Admin Center. (Figure 9)
- In order to get Office 365 for free, you need to verify you own a educational institution domain.
- Click on ‘Next’ button to proceed.
After clicking the “Next” button you will be redirected to a window looking like this (Figure 10)
- Enter your educational institutions domain name e.g example.com.
- Click on the ‘Use this Domain’ button.
After clicking “Use this domain” in the new window that will come up you will see something like this (Figure 11)
- You will have to verify your ownership of this domain by entering the TXT or MX records to the DNS Server.
- When all the records are in place, click on the ‘Verify’ button.
- You also have the option to leave this step for later. Click on ‘Close’.
- If your domain is not verified then your trial will expire and you will be unable to use Office 365 anymore.
Once you have clicked on ‘Verify’ or ‘Close‘ you will be taken to the overview page of the Admin Center.
- The following steps take place at your Classter Institution.
- Go to your Institution URL and sign in to Classter as an Admin user.
Connecting Classter with Office 365
Follow the path: Configuration > Advanced Configuration > Third-Party Integrations (Figure 12).
After clicking ‘Advanced Configurations‘ you will be redirected to a window looking like this (Figure 13)
- Here you can see all third-party integration options.
- Click on ‘Office 365 Settings’ button to begin integration.
After clicking “Office 365 settings” you will be redirected to a window looking like this (Figure 14)
After clicking the “Activate” button you will be redirected to a new window looking like this (Figure 15)
- Select your account, or use another account with the appropriate rights.
After clicking the “Next” button you will be redirected to a window looking like this (Figure 16)
Click on ‘Accept’ button to activate connection with Classter.
- Once you have logged in to your School Office 365 account, you will see that the Office 365 Settings page in the Classter portal has changed to something similar to this (Figure 17).
In the following page you will see (Figure 17):
- Enable option: Turn this switch on to Enable Office 365 for use with Classter.
- Security Group Form option: Here you can add security parameters for what files and capabilities different user types may have according to their enrollments on Classter. You create security groups from your Schools Office 365 Account. If you choose a security group e.g Year, then users such as Students or Teachers will be able to access Office 365 material that is designated to them based on what Year they belong too. A Student in Year 4 would be able to see only Year 4 material. You can create and add security groups in your Schools Office 365 account (Admin account full rights) and set security parameters on each file created e.g You can create a file and indicate it can be opened by Students of Year 4, from Class Y4B, attending Math Year 5 and History Year 5. Security groups can include Year, Stream, Class, Subject the system creates security groups for all of these entities a Student or Teacher is enrolled to. The suggested security groups for K12 are just the Year, for higher education Year and Subject.
- Locale option: Choose a Location that will be assigned to a user upon creation to indicate where they are from e.g English (United Kingdom).
- Student, Teacher, Parent, Staff Domains: In each field you can enter the domain name you want each type of user to use for their O365 email account e.g Students can be “studentmyschool.com” and for Teachers can be “teachermyschool.com” or all types of users may have the same domain name, it’s your choice. Domains are free for Students, Teachers, and Staff. If you wish to create accounts for Parents, it will come as an extra cost (Parents can create their own accounts directly from Office365 for free).
- Student, Teacher, Parent and Staff Licenses options: In each option you must choose the corresponding licenses you have for each user type. Licenses are given from Office 365.
- SharePoint URL field: Here you must add your institution’s SharePoint URL and this will create an office 365 URL in each subject which will connect students to SharePoint.
- Use Job Title option: if this is switched on Teacher will be able to see their job title and role in Office 365.
- Groups Start with option: here you can choose the form in which groups are presented either institute code first or institute description first.
- Update Department at Office365 Profile from Classter Level field for: The options currently are Students and Teachers.
- Click on the ‘Save’ button to complete the process.
Once you are done filling in the fields and options in the Advanced Configuration/Third Party Integrations page, every user-created from this point on will automatically create an Office 365 account.
Create Office 365 accounts for pre-existing Classter users
After successfully connecting with Classter is now time to use all of Office 365 features to their full potential.
From the User Accounts window, you can locate all pre-existing user types, Students, Teachers, Staff and Administrators.
All users created prior to the Office 365 integration activation, must be converted.
To start giving these users Office 365 accounts follow the path: Dashboard > Management > User Accounts (Figure 18).
- The User Types filter will show only the user accounts that you have selected
- Click the “Search” button to show the list of your selected User Types
Accounts for Students
After selecting Students and clicking the “Search” button you will see a list like the following (Figure 19):
- From the Actions dropdown menu, click on the ‘Convert to External Provider Account’. This will create a single sign on O365 account for this Student.
- When you click the “Convert to External Provider Account” button, the Pending Changes Column will turn to Yes and when it turns from Yes back to No the account will have been created and linked to Classter (Figure 20).
There is also the ‘bulk’ way of doing this (Figure 21)
- By clicking the “Select all” button and then by clicking the “Bulk Actions” dropdown button the “Convert to External Provider email Accounts” field will come up, click it to start the creation of the accounts (Keep in mind this can take up to 24 hours)
Accounts for Teachers
Pretty much you follow the same steps as shown above for the Students (Figure 22)
From the User Types search filter, select Teachers.
- Click on ‘Search’.
- From the “Actions” dropdown menu, click on the ‘Convert to External Provider Account’. This will create a single sign on O365 account for this Teacher.
- When you click the “Convert to External Provider Account” button, the Pending Changes Column will turn to Yes and when it turns from Yes back to No the account will have been created and linked to Classter.
- The ‘bulk’ way works exactly the same for the Teachers aswell. The only difference is that you select Teachers instead of Students (Figure 21)
Tip: This process can be repeated for Staff / Employees / Administrators as shown above.
Final connections check on Office 365 Admin Center
In the Office 365 Admin Center, go to Users / Active Users and click on the refresh button to refresh the list of users connected from Classter (Figure 23).
Find more or post your questions on our Facebook Community Page.
Also, watch our how-to videos on our YouTube channel.